Penalties for Colorado Theft Crimes
Penalties for a theft depend on the value of what you’ve been accused of stealing. The worth of the object in question will lead to a petty, misdemeanor, or felony theft offense. A theft crime happens anytime someone illegally obtains (by taking, taking by a threat, or taking by deception) anything of value from the item’s owner. This means a theft charge can arise from purse snatching, returning fraudulent items to a store, or conning someone out of their money.
In Colorado, the theft crimes fall under Colorado penal code 18-4-401. The code outlines the following penalties for each level of theft charge.
These are the most minor theft crimes, usually involving shoplifting. Any item worth less than $50 that’s stolen falls under a petty theft charge. Penalties for this crime are usually a fine that’s maxed out at $500.
In Colorado, there are 3 levels of misdemeanor theft charges. They depend on the value of the item allegedly stolen:
- Class 1 Misdemeanor – the item stolen was worth between $750.00 and $2,000.00. Punishment is up to 18 months in jail and/or a $5,000.00 fine.
- Class 2 Misdemeanor – the item stolen was worth between $300.00 and $750.00. Punishment is up to 12 months in jail and/or a $1,000.00 fine.
- Class 3 Misdemeanor – the item stolen was worth between $50.00 and $300.00. Punishment is up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine.
In Colorado, there are 5 levels of felony theft charges. They also depend on the item value:
- Class 2 Felony – the item is worth over $1 million. Punishment is 8 to 24 years in prison and/or up to a $1 million fine.
- Class 3 Felony – the item is worth between $100,000 and $1 million. Punishment is 4 to 12 years in prison and/or a fine.
- Class 4 Felony – the item is worth between $20,000 and $100,000. Punishment is 2 to 6 years in prison and/or a fine.
- Class 5 Felony – the item is worth between $5,000 and $20,000. Punishment is 1 to 3 years in prison and/or a fine.
- Class 6 Felony – the item is worth between $2,000 and $5,000. Punishment is 1 year to 18 months in prison and/or a fine.
The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. can help anyone accused of theft. We’ve been there for many Colorado Springs residents and can do the same for you. You can reach us at (719) 475-2555.