Colorado Springs Reckless Driving Lawyers
Reckless driving is a serious offense that could land you behind bars, result in hefty fines and other legal repercussions. That’s why having an experienced Colorado Springs criminal defense attorney from The Bussey Law Firm, P.C., by your side can help you seek the best possible outcome for your case. Legal representation by a skilled defense attorney is imperative in protecting your rights and future. Contact us today.
Contact The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. today at (719) 475-2555 to schedule a consultation.
Reckless driving in Colorado is defined as driving a vehicle with a wanton or willful disregard for the safety of others or their property. C.R.S. § 42-4-1401.
“Willful” conduct occurs when a person acts in a manner such that are aware of the nature or circumstances of their actions. “Wanton” behavior is acting without due regard for the consequences of their actions or the rights and safety of others.
- Excessive speeding
- Weaving through traffic
- Failing to yield
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
If found guilty of reckless driving, you could face Class 2 misdemeanor charges.
The penalties for reckless driving may include:
- Up to 90 days in jail, and
- Fines of up to $300.00,
If a person has been previously convicted of reckless driving and is found guilty again, they can face:
- Penalties of between 10 days and up to six months in jail, and
- A fine of between $50 and $1,000
A conviction for reckless driving will also result in 8 points being applied to your license.
Reckless driving is different and more serious than careless driving. Careless driving involves behavior more akin to accidental actions or lapses in concentration. It is typically charged as a Class 2 misdemeanor and has with penalties of:
- Up to 90 days in jail and
- A fine of up to $300.00
A conviction for careless driving results in 4 points being applied to your license.
When it comes to reckless driving cases in Colorado, several factors could determine legal penalties associated with the charge. Some of these include:
- A defendant’s driving history: Individuals with previous incidents of reckless driving can expect more severe penalties.
- The severity of the offense: Both recklessness level and any harm caused can play an influential role in the consequences of a conviction.
- The potential damage caused to third parties: Drivers who commit reckless driving offenses that do not result in harm or property damage could receive reduced fines or community service requirements.
There are several defenses to reckless driving. Some of these include:
- Lack of intent
- Mistaken identity
- Justifications for driving recklessly, such as to avoid harm to self or others.
Successfully arguing these, or others, can result in a dismissal or reduction of charges.
If you are facing charges for reckless or careless driving in Colorado Springs, it is crucial to consult an experienced attorney to learn your rights and potential defenses for reckless driving.
At The Bussey Law Firm, P.C., we understand the urgency of quality legal representation tailored to match the needs of the individual based on the facts in the case. We work tirelessly to pursue the most beneficial outcome for the citizens we represent, protecting their rights and fighting to minimize the penalties imposed for reckless driving convictions.
Facing reckless driving charges? Reach out to The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. at (719) 475-2555.