Colorado Springs Intersection Car Accident Lawyers
Like most cities in America, Colorado Springs is home to some dangerous intersections. Whether you are at the corner of Briargate Parkway and Powers Blvd. or near Palmer Park Blvd. and Space Center Drive, there is a very high potential for intersection accidents throughout the city. Sadly, there is no real way to avoid the danger, which means you may be forced to expose yourself to the hazards of an intersection every day. Those hazards, and the potential injuries, are very real.
For almost two decades, the Colorado Springs intersection car accident attorneys at The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. have successfully represented motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians who have been seriously injured by negligent individuals passing through our various crossroads. We understand how debilitating intersection accidents can be. If you or a loved one has been injured at an intersection, we want to help. Contact The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. today at (719) 475-2555 and schedule a cost-free consultation with one of our Colorado Springs car accident lawyers.
There are countless possible reasons for intersection collisions, some more accidental than others. With regard to personal injury claims, we look to the parties involved and investigate whether there were any aggravating factors involved. Some common themes we have encountered throughout our years of practice include:
- Reckless Driving: There is a reason that speed limits are posted and yield signs exist. Those that choose to ignore them do so at everyone else's peril. Speeding and recklessness top the charts when it comes to intersection accidents.
- Texting While Driving: If there is one sure fire way to get into a car accident anywhere, including intersections, it is to use a phone while driving. Nothing pulls a driver's attention away quicker than a text or web search.
- Driving Under the Influence: Despite a dramatic decrease in DUI related accidents throughout the country, motorists who choose to drive intoxicated remain a significant menace on the road. This is especially true at intersections, where quick judgment and safe driving play a critical role.
- Intersection Issues: City managers and Department of Transportation officials also have a role to play in the number of intersection collisions each year. A poorly designed crossroad can be just as dangerous as a teenager texting while driving.
When first learning to drive, you may have found yourself nervously entering intersections as slowly as possible. That kind of nervousness is understandable, as intersections are incredibly dangerous, and one of the most common areas for accidents to occur in. When two roads cross each other, it creates a situation where there are multiple lanes of intersecting traffic with several drivers waiting, likely impatiently, for their turn to go.
There are many things that make intersections so dangerous, but that impatience is one of the main ones. Impatient drivers are likely to speed, ignore the right of way, or become angry and become aggressive drivers. If an impatient driver is waiting for their turn, they may suddenly decide they are done waiting and zoom into the middle of the intersection, causing a high-speed collision.
Even if a driver isn’t feeling impatient and is trying to wait their turn safely, they may become confused about who has the right-of-way or inch their way into an intersection. This is a major problem with inexperienced drivers who don’t know when to stop, wait, and turn safely. High traffic intersections can be particularly confusing for drivers, making them all the more dangerous.
Intersections are also popular places to build shops and businesses, as being on a busy road guarantees you better sales. This wouldn’t be an issue if it weren’t for the fact that these buildings need parking lots, and parking lots need entrances and exits. What was once just two roads crossing could easily become a long stretch of entry points, adding to the chaos and confusion already associated with intersections.
At the end of the day, an intersection is dangerous because it involves the crossing of two streams of traffic. Even for seasoned and defensive drivers, this can create some confusion. For distracted, intoxicated, fatigued, or inexperienced drivers, it can pure and total chaos. No matter how safely you feel you are driving, someone else could lose complete control over their vehicle, and you would still end up in an accident with them.
Anything can happen at an intersection. When two or more roads meet, the resulting traffic can be utter chaos, meaning that the number of accidents that can occur as a result is nearly endless. But some more common kinds of accidents you may experience at an intersection are:
- Rear-end collisions: Many people call rear-end collisions “fender-benders,” which makes these accidents sound almost harmless. Unfortunately, there is nothing harmless about a high speed rear-end collision at an intersection. Drivers patiently waiting for their turn to go could suddenly be pushed into oncoming traffic, causing further trauma. Such an accident can easily cause thousands of dollars’ worth of damage as well as severe injuries.
- Head-on collisions: When two vehicles collide head-on, the result can be literally explosive. These kinds of accidents often happen because one driver becomes distracted and swerves out of their lane. They may also be the result of a fatigued or distracted driver as well.
- Right-turn accidents: In Colorado, drivers are allowed to make right-hand turns while at a red light, unless specifically prohibited from doing so. In order for the maneuver to be legal and safe, the turning driver must have the right of way, as in a clear path, before proceeding. Unfortunately, there are many drivers who neglect to make sure that they are in the clear before starting their turn. They may also not see pedestrians in the cross-walk or bicyclists about to enter one.
- Left-turn accidents: Left-turn accidents are less common than right-turn ones, as taking a left turn legally requires a green light on top of a clear path. However, they can still happen at yield signs or turn offs into side streets, especially considering that most intersection-related accidents are often caused by distracted and impatient drivers.
- T-bone accidents: T-bone accidents are among the most common and devastating accidents that happen at intersections. When one car is driving straight through the intersection and another car from the crossing road collides with them, forming a T shape, it is considered a T-bone. They usually happen because a driver fails to yield the right of way. Unfortunately, the sides of a car are not as thick as the front or rear, meaning that the people sitting closest to the area that is struck could easily absorb a great deal of the impact force, causing catastrophic injuries.
Intersection accidents are no laughing matter. We know the kind of damage that accompanies these types of wrecks, and we have witnessed the potential havoc it can bring down upon a victim's life. This is why we are thoroughly committed to helping you and your family recover the kind of damages you deserve after an accident, such as:
- Emergency medical transportation and care
- Extensive hospital arrangements
- Prescription medication
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Wrongful death
- Loss of wages
If you have been impacted in any of the aforementioned ways as the result of an intersection collision, we highly recommend contacting our firm as soon as possible. While you have the right to take legal action against those who are responsible for your injuries, your time is limited. In the state of Colorado, the statute of limitations on personal injury claims is two years from the moment of your collision. You must bring your claim forward by the two-year deadline or forfeit your right to compensation. Don't let this opportunity slip past; contact an experienced Colorado Springs auto accident attorney as soon as possible.
After a debilitating intersection accident, you may be feeling completely lost and unsure about what your future holds. If you choose to work with The Bussey Law Firm, P.C., we can help you fight for the compensation that you rightfully and legally deserve. Let us help you achieve your legal goals. Call The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. at (719) 475-2555 to review your case with one of our Colorado personal injury attorneys.