Personal Injury Home Government Vehicle Accidents

Colorado Springs Government Vehicle Accident Attorneys

Injured in an Accident with a Government Vehicle in Colorado Springs?

If you were injured in an accident caused by a driver of a government vehicle, the process of filing an injury claim is far more complex than a collision with another driver. These accidents can occur with a speeding police vehicle, fire truck, or a city or county vehicle of any type. It is always advised that you are represented by a skilled Colorado Springs auto accident lawyer to ensure your claim is filed within the time limits under the law, with the correct governmental agency. Failing to submit a claim within the time limits can bar you from the right to seek compensation.

What Types of Government Vehicles May Be Involved in Injury Accidents?

  • Police vehicles
  • Fire trucks
  • Ambulances
  • City or county road repair vehicles
  • Other government vehicles

Emergency vehicles often rush to the scene of an accident, or when carrying injured or ill patients to the hospital. These vehicles may be traveling at a high rate of speed, and with sirens blaring, speed through intersections. A crossing driver may be unaware of the vehicle passing through a green light, unable to identify the source of the sirens, and is then hit at a high speed, leading to serious, catastrophic, or fatal injuries. In these cases, the need for fair compensation cannot be overstated – the injured person may require weeks, months, or even a lifetime of medical care and treatment.

At The Bussey Law Firm, P.C., we offer a rare level of knowledge and experience in government vehicle accident cases. Our firm’s founder, Timothy Bussey, is one of only two attorneys in Colorado with an ACS Forensic Lawyer-Scientist Designation. He formerly served in the U.S. Air Force and is a nationally published author on legal strategies.

Government Tort Claims vs Private Insurance Claims

A “tort” is a legal term for a wrongful act or right infringement that leads to civil liability, or in essence, a personal injury claim. A government tort is subject to both federal and Colorado state statutes. With a private insurance claim, the statute of limitations allows you two years from the time of the accident to file a claim. With a government tort claim, you have only 180 days from the time of the injury (or the time it was discovered) to file a claim.

The claim must be submitted correctly, to the proper agency, with all the pertinent facts and information. Our firm takes on these cases with professionalism and legal skill, ensuring all filings, court dates, and supporting evidence or testimony are obtained, preserved, and presented professionally. Our knowledge and talent can make a dramatic difference in the value of the final settlement or jury award.

How to Recover Compensation After a Collision with a Government Vehicle?

After a crash with a government vehicle, an injured person may be unable to take care of any legal issues. The injured could be in a hospital, rehabilitation center, or recovering at home, and it stands to reason that the legal issues are not top-of-mind. In such a case, The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. will professionally manage every aspect of the case, allowing you to focus on your health and recovery, or the health and healing of a loved one. Our process of seeking full and fair compensation will move through a set of actions:

  • A medical evaluation of your condition, and predicted long-term impact on your ability to work, any impact on your earning capacity, or whether long-term medical treatments will be necessary.
  • The facts of how the accident occurred are gathered, including the police report, eyewitness statements, video, or photographs of the collision.
  • The notice of claim form is submitted to the correct agency within the 180-day time limit, containing the injured person’s name, address, factual basis for the claim, the date the collision occurred, and the amount of compensation requested.
  • Once the notice has been filed, there is a waiting period. The government agency will investigate the claim, and 90 days must pass before a lawsuit can be filed, unless the agency denies the claim.

Why You Need a Lawyer

Filing a claim against the city, county or state requires experience, know-how, and a personal dedication to the injured person. At The Bussey Law Firm, P.C., we have the breadth of legal experience to take on the most complex cases with confidence and skill. If the driver of the government vehicle drove in a negligent manner, a maximum of $350,000 can be pursued – and an injured person often needs every penny of the compensation, and we fight for it.

Contact The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. today at (719) 475-2555 to speak to us about your case.

Rocks, man on crutches and gavel