Colorado Children and Pool Safety
Tragedy struck a Colorado family recently. According to a story on Denver’s Fox 31, a four year old girl drowned in a pool at a private residence in Windsor a few days ago. The girl was attending a birthday party at the time.
With the arrival of summer’s heat comes the returning call for child swimming pool safety. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), children ages one to four have the highest rate of drowning, with the majority of deaths happening in home swimming pools. These shocking figures and the sad story above make pool safety essential to all families.
We at The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. want you and your family to have a safe, enjoyable summer by being mindful of the dangers that come with swimming pools. According to www.poolsafely.gov, these are the primary ways to keep children safe around a swimming pool:
- Supervise! Stay close and be alert any time children are in or near a pool or spa.
- Teach your children to swim at an early age and also teach them water safety habits.
- Learn CPR and other lifesaving techniques.
- Keep a cell phone handy.
- Keep children away from drains, pipes, and other possible dangers.
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first.
- Teach these rules to other adults.
If your home has a pool or spa, you need to be responsible and have the right equipment. Install a four foot high fence with a locking gate around the pool. Keep a locking cover over your spa. Have a safe and well maintained drain. Limit child access to the pool as much as possible.
If you have any further concerns regarding children and pool safety, don’t hesitate to call the experienced Colorado Springs child accident attorneys at The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. Dial (719) 475-2555 for a free consultation. Have a fun, but safe, summer.