Colorado Springs Gang Crime Defense Attorney
Aggressive Defense for Gang Related Charges
While gangs are diverse in their origins, purposes, and activities, street gang crime is typically defined by federal law officials as a group of more than three people who take part in illegal actions and operate as a posse under a shared name or mark.
In addition, officials gauge and assess problems of gang crime in terms of:
- Crimes committed by persons thought to be part of a gang, regardless of whether the crime was tied to gang initiatives; and
- Crimes committed by members thought to be part of a gang that are regarded as tied to gang-related benefits or initiatives.
That said, it is also agreed by experts that a significant amount of crime committed by members of gangs is self-involved and unrelated to gang function. The severity of crimes and the level of illicit activity fluctuate considerably between gangs and members.
Colorado Gang Law
The assessment of gang crimes is very similar on a state level as it is on the federal. Colorado gang law is defined in state law 18-23-101. The law describes a criminal gang as:
"Any ongoing organization, association, or group of three or more persons, whether formal or informal."
The Colorado law elaborates on gang identification as having "one of its primary objectives or activities the commission of one or more predicate criminal acts; and whose members individually or collectively engage in or have engaged in a pattern of criminal gang activity." The "pattern of criminal gang activity" is defined as the "commission, attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation of two or more predicate criminal acts which are committed on separate occasions or by two or more persons."
Types of Gang Crime
Punishment by law for gang-related crimes varies by the severity and circumstances of the act committed, and the charges often include felonies and impending jail time. Common types of gang crimes include but are not limited to the following:
- Drug Trafficking: The dealing of illegal controlled substances is typical gang-related crime. Drugs may include marijuana, methamphetamine, cocaine, and heroin.
- Robbery: Robberies of businesses, homes, and other locations are sometimes gang related.
- Theft: Both violent and non-violent, can be part of gang activity.
- Violent Crimes: Various kinds of assault on members of a rival gang are routinely seen gang crimes.
- Homicide: The murder of any individual for gang purposes and initiatives is obviously the most severe level of gang crime, with repercussions ranging from long jail sentences to the death penalty.
Persons facing gang charges are highly advised to align with professional legal console with significant experience in the field. The details of every case must be carefully evaluated to determine the appropriate and most effective course of action. The Colorado Springs criminal defense lawyers at The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. offer proven expertise helping defendants navigate these difficult cases. Call (719) 475-2555 for a free review of your case with a lawyer today.
- Juvenile Gang Crime
- Gang Crime Blogs
- Colorado Springs Program Helps Keep Girls Out Of Gangs
- Gang Activity on Decline In Colorado Springs