Colorado Springs Identity Theft Defense Lawyers
Fight Your Identity Theft Charges
Identity theft is a growing problem in today's digital world where so much of our information is stored electronically or readily available online. The legal definition of identity theft is stealing someone's financial information with the intention of using it to commit one or more crimes.
Identity theft is a serious charge, one that you will need to fight as aggressively as possible to minimize your sentence or avoid jail time. For help with this legal matter, contact The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. to speak with a criminal defense lawyer in Colorado Springs.
What Does ID Theft Involve?
A person who commits identity theft may obtain a variety of identifying documents or information to impersonate another individual for his or her own gains. This white collar crime may involve use of the following information:
- Bank account information (PINs and account numbers)
- Bank cards
- Credit card numbers or credit cards
- Driver's license information or driver's licenses
- Phone numbers
- Social Security numbers
Individuals commonly use this information for their financial benefit. They may do any of the following with the information they acquire:
- Obtain loans in the other person's name
- Obtain credit cards or lines of credit in the other person's name
- Obtain false documents such as passports using the other person's information
- Make merchandise purchases or cash withdrawals in the other person's name
- Buy property or vehicles in the other person's name
- Obtain tax refunds or government benefits in the other person's name
Because incidences of identity theft are increasing, courts are getting tough on offenders. In Colorado, identity theft may be a simple Class 1 misdemeanor, or a felony, depending on the type of identity theft crime the accused allegedly committed. An individual facing Class 5 felony charges for identity theft may spend up to six years in prison and pay fines up to $100,000. In any situation, an aggressive Colorado Springs defense attorney is essential. He or she may be able to get your charges reduced or even dropped by establishing a strong defense on your behalf or convincing the courts you had no intention of using information to defraud another person.
The Bussey Law Firm, P.C. Provides Effective Legal Defense
Contact our Colorado Springs identity theft defense attorneys for help with this important legal matter. We offer free initial consultations, and we have experience handling various theft crime cases, including identity theft. Call us today at (719) 475-2555.